Want to add the illusion of curves to your shape? We can’t all be bootylicious like Beyonce. But there are some tricks to help define your waistline and give you the appearance of an hourglass shape instead of the nice rectangle-ish shape I got going on.
(disclosure: still love your body and all the great things it does! We can grow and feed humans with our bodies! That is some superhero isshhh!)
The Tips, The Down Low, The Good Stuff
- High waisted bottoms– High waisted bottoms should hit right at or just below your belly button. High waistlines emphasize the smallest part of your silhouette and are super flattering for your shape! Make sure to tuck in your tops when rocking those high waisted mom jeans to define your waist even more.
- Belt it- Belts not only define your waist but they also draw the eye right to it! Make sure your belt isn’t too thick because that can actually have the opposite effect and give you the appearance of a larger midsection.
- A good bra- Don’t underestimate the power of a good bra girl. A proper fitting bra will lift up and seperate the girls, which helps define your waistline. And honestly, after breastfeeding for over a year the girls need all they help they can get!
- Peplum tops-A structured peplum top is a great way to add definition to your waist. A peplum top comes in at the natural waist and flares out to create the illusion of a hourglass shape.
- All the dresses– Dresses like fit & flares, wraps and A-lines will be your best fraaannnd girl! These styles will cinch in that waist and flare out below to give you them curves.
- Colorblock- Look for colorblock dresses with dark side panels that taper in at the waist and have a lighter color front panel. Colorblocking is a great way to trick the eye! Our eyes tend to skip over the side panels and only focus on the light front panel. Voila, instant curves.
- Sleeves- Sleeves that end at or around the elbow draw the eye to your waistline.
- Lower necklines– Low necklines, especially the plunging kind, will bring one’s focus down towards the waist.
- Wide leg pants– I love me some skinny jeans but a nice wide leg jean like a boot cut, flare or even bell bottom creates more shape. Skinny jeans tend to make us look like one long unshapely line.
I love love love love my boyfriend jeans and a classic t-shirt but they aren’t very flattering styles, as you can see!
Use these tips to create some curve and start lookin’ booytlicious girl. I don’t think anybody will be ready for that jelly haha! If you don’t get that reference than you obvi weren’t a huge Destiny’s Child fan back in the 2000’s like I was. But thats ok, Youtube the song and dance to it while cleaning the house. Your hubby and kids might look at you like you are crazy but its a good throwback, I promise!