We all come in different shapes and sizes and every single one is beautiful! I want to make it very clear that these are just suggestions. Girl, rock whatever makes YOU feel sexy. I do not follow by the “rules” when it comes to fashion. I don’t care what your age or shape is. If you got it mama, you flaunt it. When you look good, you feel more confident. And nothing looks better on a woman than confidence.
Below I will cover the four basic shapes; apple, pear, hourglass and rectangle. If you are in between two shapes, congrats, you can rock styles that flatter both shapes! I’ll explain what styles to avoid and how to accentuate your best features. Without further ado , here are some tips and tricks to dress your shape.
Pear Shape 🍐
You have a pear shape if your hips are wider than your bust and your shoulders tend to be narrower than your hips. Pear shapes usually have a fuller bottom. As a member of the tiny booty community, I am jealous girl. It is all about balance when it comes to the pear shape. You want to accentuate your top half while minimizing your bottom half.
- Highlight your bust and shoulders with bright colored or bold print tops to draw the eye up. Keep bottoms dark and subtle to balance your shape.
- Plunging v-necks, cowl necks, scoop necks and embellished necklines will draw attention up. Simple details like a cap, flutter or puff sleeve will also accent your shoulders and upper body.
- Feel free to rock statement necklaces, earrings and scarves. Not only will those statement pieces take your outfit up a notch but it will direct attention to your upper body.
- Dresses and skirts that hit below the knee will elongate and slenderize your shape.
- Like I said before, keep the bottoms darker and subtle. Bootcut and flare jeans flatter and balance your shape.
- When it comes to jackets and outerwear you want the garment to hit right at your waist or mid thigh. This will help create a long and lean look.
- A line and princess cut jackets are the most flattering styles for your figure.
Girl, hips don’t lie and love every inch of your curves because they are what makes you, you. And you my friend are gawwwgous (insert my NY accent).
P.S. Shakira Shakira. That will be stuck in your head all day. You’re welcome.
Apple shapes have broader shoulders, smaller hips and don’t have a well defined waist. To balance your shape wear clothing that draws attention away from your midsection. That means you get to accent those legs, arms and bust girl! Work it mama!
- When it comes to tops, keep them flowy or draped. A flowy a line top or tunic hides the midsection while it lengthens and leans out your shape.
- Just like the pear shaped gals, v-necks and scoop necklines will elongate your neck and highlight your upper body.
- Peplum tops will create the illusion of a narrow waist and fuller hips on apple shapes.
- Fitted sleeves will also bring proportion to your bust and midsection.
- Show off those arms in sleeveless tanks.
- You can draw the eye up with those statement pieces I was talking about earlier.
- A line, maxi, wrap, shift or empire waist dresses are all great options for apple shapes.
- Apple shapes have killer legs, so don’t be afraid to show them off in shorts and shorter skirts.
- When it comes to pants you can’t go wrong with skinny or bootcut jeans. If you want to create a longer, leaner look rock heels with your bootcut jeans. Just make sure the hem of your jeans reach either the floor or the top of your heel.
- Black leggings can make your slim legs look even slimmer. A pair of pattern leggings will highlight those hot mama legs without making them appear thinner.
- Ponchos and A line jackets are flattering for your shape.
- Fitted and structured trench coats and blazers create a curvier midsection.
- Jackets should come to your upper thigh and leaving the jacket unzipped/unbuttoned will flatter your shape even more.
I don’t have anything witty song-wise for apple shapes except….apple bottom jeans, boots with the furrrrr. Apple shapes can use the tips above to have the whole club looking at her. Now get low, low, low, low. K, I’m done now.
Where’s my curvy gals at?! Hourglass shapes have fuller bust, hips, thighs and a well defined waist. Your curves are your best asset, so flaunt them girl!
- Form fitting fabrics like jersey knits look best on you.
- Wrap tops and peplum blouses will highlight your figure perfectly!
- Boatneck, v-neck and round necklines are most flattering for your shape.
- If you want to draw attention to your waistline, sport tops with elbow length sleeves or wear a belt over tops and dresses.
- Flowy or boxy style dresses will do nothing for your shape, so keep it fitted! If you want to wear a flowy style dress, pair it together with a belt to accent your natural waist.
- Pencil skirts, fit and flare, wrap and empire waist dresses will play up your curves.
- When it comes to pants, the world is your oyster. Bootcut, flare, lowrise, highrise, leggings and skinny jeans all look great on your shape. Cropped styles aren’t as flattering on the hourglass shape but do not let that stop you from rocking them!
- Just like pants there are so many jacket styles that look fantastic on an hourglass frame.
- The classic trench coat, fitted blazers, bombers with an elastic or fitted band and cropped styles are so flattering on hourglass shapes and draw attention to your small waist.
All About That Bass was practically written in honor of you hourglass ladies!
Cause I got that boom boom that all the boys chase
And all the right junk in all the right places
Because you know I’m all about that bass
‘Bout that bass, no treble 🎵
Rectangle Shape (Athletic) 📰
I’m here to represent the rectangle ladies! Rectangle gals are not particularly curvy. Your weight is evenly distributed throughout your body. Your shoulder and hip measurements are almost the same width. The ticket to dressing the rectangle shape is to create curves and to balance your upper body by highlighting your killer assets, like your shoulders, arms and legs.
- Rectangle gals have so many options when it comes to tops. Halter, racerback and strapless tops look amazing on your body type.
- Necklines like scoop neck, round neck, v-neck, sweetheart and cowl neck will highlight your bust and elongate your neck at the same time.
- To give the illusion of a curvier waist add a belt to tops or sport a peplum style top.
- Highlight your bust with statement necklaces, embellished tops and statement collars.
- Shorter hemlines make your to die for legs the focal point of your outfit. So show them off in those mini skirts mama. Yes, YOU can wear a mini and look 🔥 in it too!
- Halter top and strapless dresses will accent your bust and shoulders.
- Skinny, straight, bootcut and flare jeans all look great on your shape.
- A cropped or elastic band jacket will accentuate your waist and make you appear curvier.
- You can rock peacoats, dusters, bombers or any kind of flowy outerwear!
I don’t have any song lyrics for us rectangle gals but we have Cameron Diaz and that’s even better! She is my ultimate girl crush. And she dated Justin Timberlake, so 1990-00’s Katie is sooooo jealous.
Like I said before, these are just suggestions. My mission is to uplift and empower women through affordable and attainable fashion tips. And the best fashion tip I can give you is; wear what makes you feel good, sexy and fierce. When you look good and you know you look good, that confidence radiates off of you girl and that’s a beautiful thing, my friend!